Dairy Farmers of Canada’s 2018 Research Highlights are available online for download on dairyresearch.ca. The report covers research governance, DFC investments and partners, and contains ten research success stories in DFC’s priority research areas.
The success stories provide concrete examples of how investments in research are contributing to innovation and excellence. A list of the story headlines follows:
- Dairy farms increased efficiency and productivity and have lowered GHG emissions from milk production
- Identifying two new traits to select dairy cattle for high feed efficiency and low methane gas emissions
- Research supports progress in animal care under proAction®
- Canadian team advances world-class research on best practices and standards for dairy cattle welfare
- New pathways to prevent, manage and treat infectious diseases of dairy cattle
- Mastitis network transfers knowledge and tools for milk quality and production excellence
- Impact of milk products on weight and body composition among children and teens
- Cheese helps to stabilize blood sugar levels
- Benefits of milk as a source of high-quality protein in the management of lung cancer patients
- Beneficial effects of consuming skim milk after exercise compared to a sports drink
Breakdown of 2018 research investments
Every dollar invested in dairy research by DFC is leveraged to add about three more dollars in investments from our partners.